JOB POSITION – HARVEST MANAGER
We are seeking a motivated individual to fill our Harvest Manager position. This person oversees the efficient operation of the field harvest and pack-out. This individual work closely with and is supervised by the farm owner. And is responsible for managing the Crew Leader and field crew on all things related to the harvest.
- Do twice-weekly field walks to assess the crops and timing, quantity, and quality of harvest.
- Make harvest list for farmers markets, wholesale orders, and the CSA.
- Communicate harvest list with the field crew coordinator and field crew as needed.
- Manage 15 Spanish-speaking employees and train new hires with harvest, washing, and packing.
- Assist as needed with washing, sorting, and packing.
- Make twice-weekly wholesale availability list with farmer.
- Maintain inventory of packing supplies.
- Maintain a clean, organized cooler and storage spaces.
- Monitor quality of product and proper packaging and labeling.
- Maintain cleaning logs and food safety procedures.
- Assist in sales to retailers and restaurants.
- Assist in training farmers market staff on crop information.
- Attends weekly staff meetings and participates in both big picture strategizing and daily operational decisions.
- Vending at one farmers market per week, which includes driving a box truck, customer service, detailed record-keeping, attention to detail, repetitive heavy lifting, and managing market staff.
- Helping with truck packing and moving product between ranches as needed.
- General farm work and participation in projects as needed.
The work requires the physical and mental capacity to contribute daily to an often rigorous, fast-paced, and deeply rewarding agricultural practice. Staff work 30-40 hours/week from January through March and 50+ hours/week from April through December.
- Applicant needs to have a minimum of 2 years growing experience on a production farm.
- The ability to speak conversational Spanish is required.
- Proficiency with Excel and basic computer skills.
- This position requires great attention to detail, familiarity with a broad spectrum of crops and appropriate harvest/wash/pack and food safety procedures.
- Excellent organizational and record-keeping skills.
- Willing to make a two-year minimum commitment.
Applicant should be self-motivated, hardworking, eager to learn, have excellent people skills, great multi-tasker, and be in good physical condition. Ability to perform certain tasks such as heavy lifting (over 50#), repetitive grasping, standing, bending, and walking (No applicant will be rejected because of a condition or impairment that, with reasonable accommodation, does not prevent performance of work.)
Compensation and Housing
This is a year-round salaried position. Salary includes on-site housing, health insurance, food from the farm, a continuing education allowance, and one month of paid vacation.
It is a high priority of the farm to provide a quality experience to those working here. An ideal applicant is interested in participating in many aspects of a small-scale, diversified farming operation and has a serious interest in advancing an agricultural career.
The Hiring Process
If you are interested in working at Blue House Farm, please send a resume and a letter with the following information:
- Relevant past work experience, including specific responsibilities and duties
- Your goals relating to agriculture
- Other related skills (ie: carpentry, cooking, writing, tractor driving, plumbing, retail sales, computers, etc…)
- 2 references
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If your qualifications match what we’re looking for, we will contact you to schedule a phone or on-farm (preferred) interview. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us.