JOB POSITION – FIELD PRODUCTION/TRACTOR OPERATOR ASSISTANT
We are seeking a motivated individual to fill our Field Production/Tractor Operator Assistant position. This person contributes to a significant portion of the tractor work for the farm. This person is trained by and reports to the Field Manager and Farm Owner. We manage two ranches totaling 120 acres and farm vegetables on 60 of those. The land that is not in row crops is planted in pasture for sheep or cover cropped. Around the farm, we use 8 tractors for various purposes, ranging from 95hp to 20hp, many different primary and secondary cultivation implements, a forklift, trucks, and trailers.
- Assist with tractor work, including everything from field preparation and seeding to cultivating.
- Assist with fertility monitoring and application.
- Assist with scouting for pests and disease.
- Assist irrigators with pipe moving, drip installation, fertilizing, and repairs.
- Assist with maintenance of fencing, field tools, buildings, trucks, tractors, and equipment
- Assist with transporting tractors and equipment between two ranches.
- Assist with record-keeping of all field activity and inputs.
- Assist with greenhouse seeding, watering, and fertilizing.
- Assist with general building projects and landscaping.
Secondary responsibilities could include:
- Vending at one farmers market per week, which includes driving a box truck, customer service, record-keeping, attention to detail and repetitive heavy lifting
- General farm work and participation in projects as needed
The work requires the physical and mental capacity to contribute daily to an often rigorous, fast-paced, and deeply rewarding agricultural practice. Position is approximately 50 hours per week from April through November, with potential to become year-round.
- Minimum of 1 year growing experience on a production farm.
- Tractor experience is desired, but not necessary.
- Desire to learn tractor and equipment operation.
- Familiarity with irrigation work and repairs is desired.
- Basic carpentry skills (mechanical/metal working skills a plus) is desired.
- The ability to speak basic, conversational Spanish is desired.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
Applicant should be self-motivated, hard working, eager to learn, have excellent people skills, great multi-tasker, and be in good physical condition. Ability to perform certain tasks such as heavy lifting (over 50#), repetitive grasping, standing, bending, and walking (No applicant will be rejected because of a condition or impairment that, with reasonable accommodation, does not prevent performance of work.)
Compensation and Housing
Starting pay commensurate with experience. This is a seasonal position (March/April-November) with the potential to become year-round. Housing may be available for rent on the farm.
The Hiring Process
If you are interested in working at Blue House Farm, please send a resume and a letter with the following information:
- Position you are applying for
- Relevant past work experience, including specific responsibilities and duties.
- Your goals relating to agriculture
- Spanish language abililty
- Other related skills (ie: carpentry, cooking, writing, plumbing, retail sales, computers, delivery truck driving, etc…)
- 2 references
Send to: email@example.com. If your qualifications match what we’re looking for, we will contact you to schedule a phone or on-farm (preferred) interview. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us.