JOB POSITION – FLOWER PRODUCTION ASSISTANT
The Flower Production Assistant works closely with the Flower Production Manager and other flower team members to produce five acres of high quality, organic cut flowers for six farmers markets, CSA, wholesale accounts, and special events. The position is full time from April – November with 50-hour weeks at the height of the season, and tapering at the beginning and end of the season.
Flower-specific responsibilities include:
- Assist with the farm's flower production on three acres, supplying a variety of marketable flowers from April through November
- Harvest flowers up to 20-35 hours per week at the height of the season
- Arrange flower bouquets
- Trellis and stake beds, irrigate, fertilize, plant, and hoe as needed
- Assist with greenhouse sowings and field plantings
- Supervised by and works closely with Flower Manager
Secondary responsibilities could include the following:
- Lead one weekly farmers market, which includes driving a box truck, customer service, record-keeping, attention to detail and repetitive heavy lifting
- General farm work and participation in projects as needed
The work requires the physical and mental capacity to contribute daily to an often rigorous, fast-paced, and deeply rewarding agricultural practice. This position is seasonal (April-November) with the potential to become year-round.
- Minimum of one year experience on a production farm
- Cut-flower growing experience preferred
- Strong floral design skills desired
- Ability to speak basic, conversational Spanish is desired
Applicant should be self-motivated, hard working, eager to learn, have excellent people skills, great multi-tasker, and be in good physical condition. Ability to perform certain tasks such as heavy lifting (over 50#), repetitive grasping, standing, bending, and walking (No applicant will be rejected because of a condition or impairment that, with reasonable accommodation, does not prevent performance of work.)
This is an hourly position, pay based on experience. Housing may be available to rent on the farm.
The Hiring Process
If you are interested in working at Blue House Farm, please send a resume and cover letter with the following information:
- Position you are applying for
- Relevant past work experience, including specific responsibilities and duties, especially related to the position you are applying for
- Your goals relating to agriculture
- Spanish language ability
- Other related skills (ie: carpentry, cooking, writing, tractor driving, plumbing, retail sales, computers, delivery truck driving, etc…)
- 2 references
Send to: email@example.com. If your qualifications match what we’re looking for, we will contact you to schedule a phone or on-farm (preferred) interview. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us.